According to the article Assessing adolescents’ motivation to read, “motivation is defined in terms of beliefs, values, needs and goals that individuals have. Thus, the closer that literacy activities and tasks match these values, needs, and goals, the greater the likelihood that students will expend effort and sustain interest in them” (2007). It is particularly important for teachers and school districts to examine the texts and techniques used to motivate children to read (especially in the earlier grades) to ensure children have choices, success is attainable, and the information is relevant. If students “judge reading and literacy activities to be unrewarding, too difficult, or not worth the effort because they are peripheral to their interests and needs”, the students may lose interest in learning all together (2007).
In the article Read motivation: what research says, researchers Linda Gambrell and Barbara Marinak claim “self-concept and value of reading, choice; time spent talking about books, types of text available, and the use of incentives” have been proven to increase a child’s motivation to read (2009). One method in particular that caught my attention is the impact of read-alouds on student motivation. Read-alouds can be used by teachers to interpret texts and ask students question they normally would not think to ask themselves. Read-alouds “allow children to take an active role in understanding text; and prompt children to begin using mental activities that will become automatic as they begin reading independently” (2009). Small group discussions are also important and can be rewarding when unique ideas are shared and expanded.
When I was in first grade, I remember having no motivation to read. I thought reading was too challenging and very boring. Nothing I was told to read in class had anything any relation to my interests, and I thought my time was better spent playing outside with friends. My parents decided to offer me rewards after every book I read and have me read out loud to them everyday. I read to receive rewards and as I read I improved my skills drastically. While I am not currently in a classroom, I feel rewards for reading are very beneficial. As I read for rewards, I discovered my love for reading and eventually became a fluent reader. At first my motivation stemmed from the opportunity to receive rewards, then shifted to a motivation to learn and explore new ideas and information.
Resources:
Gambrell, L. and Marinak, B. Read motivation: what research says (2009). http://www.readingrockets.org/article/29624
Pitcher, S. Assessing adolescents’ motivation to read. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy(2007).
No comments:
Post a Comment