As we discussed in class, the role of phonics in literacy programs is controversial. Many lawmakers, teachers, and parents believe that phonics is the key to solving reading issues, and some feel that phonics is the only component necessary for children to learn to read. Tompkins argues that these views “ignore what we know about the interrelatedness of the four cueing systems” (p. 167). She believes that “reading is a complex process, and the phonological system works in conjunction with the semantic, syntactic, and the pragmatic systems, not in isolation” (p. 167). The issues surround the correct way to implement phonics instruction. Tompkins states, “phonics (should) be taught within a balanced approach that integrates instruction in reading strategies and skills with meaningful opportunities for reading and writing” (p. 167). She believes phonics instruction needs to be both intensive and systematic and should be completed by third grade.
When I was learning to read, my entire program focused on phonics and rarely covered literature and writing. I recall filling out phonics workbooks everyday, and rarely put any original thought into the work I did during reading class. I was generally uninterested in improving my reading skills, and I do not remember enjoying reading until I was encouraged to choose what I read and wrote. Researchers Sulzby and Teale state, “Without fundamental understandings of the functions and uses of literacy (e.g. storybook reading, language play, written language use in everyday practices), children may not profit from phonological awareness instruction”(p. 30). The authors state that while, a substantial amount of phonics instruction is necessary in order for children to learn to read, a balanced program should allow a child to choose what he or she reads and writes. Thus creating a sense of autonomy and intrinsic motivation for students.
I feel my teachers had no choice in whether or not their students needed additional phonics instructions. I believe they were instructed to follow a state curriculum, and were not encouraged to deviate from what they were given. According to an article written by the International Reading Association, “Programs that constrain teachers from using their professional judgment in making instructional decisions about what is best in phonics instruction for students simply get in the way of good teaching practices” (p. 3). I believe fell prepared teachers should be given more of a say over what is taught in their classes, and they should be the ones that decide who do and does not need additional phonics training and how much. When teachers feel their students have mastered phonics, then classes can move on to more engaging activities that fuel students’ reading interests.
Resources:
The International Reading Association. (2009). The role of phonics in reading programs. Pgs 1-7.
http://www.reading.org/Libraries/Position_Statements_and_Resolutions/ps1018_phonics.sflb.ashx
Tompkins, Gail E. (2010). Literacy for the 21st Century: A Balanced Approach. Pg 167.
W.H. Teale & E. Sulzby (Eds.), Emergent literacy: Writing and reading (pp. 15-49).
http://www.earlyliterature.ecsd.net/balanced%20literacy.htm
No comments:
Post a Comment